Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Swimmer

This is one of my favorite movies from the late 1960's.  I remember watching this movie as a kid on Dialing for Dollars while I was home sick from school.  It was as eerie to me then as it is now.  Based off of the 1964 short story by writer John Cheever, it follows the trials of suburbanite Neddy Merrill as he tries to traverse a Westchester County valley by swimming across it via all of the neighbors' swimming pools.  Along the way, the story deals with issues of aging, privilege, the generation gap, alcoholism, excess, mental illness, loss, and basic unconsciousness  Neddy is expertly portrayed by Burt Lancaster and one of the scenes includes the beautiful late actress Janice Rule.  I highly recommend it.  Also, you get such a great glimpse into upscale mid-century architecture and interior design - not to be missed!


 
Janice Rule

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails